After years of delay, the controversial announcement of a new runway at Gatwick or Heathrow is expected on the 18th October. It comes just months after the green light was given to expansion at London City Airport, and makes a mockery of our own legally binding commitments for action on climate change. Clearly, more planes mean more catastrophic climate change, whilst our homes, communities and cultural legacy are destroyed. It is time to fight back.
In solidarity with local and international groups, and in defence of the climate and people all over the world, Reclaim the Power is calling for people to take safe and peaceful action against the aviation industry. Join in on a for a family-friendly flashmob and critical mass bike block at a London airport on Saturday 1st October.
As Black Lives Matter activists shut down London City Airport last week, over 400 people have so far pledged to take part in this day of action. The exact location is being kept secret, to keep the authorities on their toes.
All Day Action Labs @ Grow Heathrow – Saturday 24th and Friday 30th September – GET CLUED UP | TRAINED UP | TEAMED UP | PLAN FOR ACTION – MORE INFORMATION COMING SOON.
WILL YOU JOIN IN IF HUNDREDS OF OTHERS PLEDGE TO COME?
GREAT! Here’s what to do next:
1) Add your email address to the pledge platform here: http://tinyurl.com/jxsxkyf, so that the organisers can let you know more info as it’s revealed. The more people who sign up, the more others will want to join, and the more effective we can be.
2) Get yourself along to one of the info-sharing / legal briefing / action training events at Grow heathrow or The Hive, to ensure you are fully prepared to participate. Details of the events can be found here: https://reclaimthepower.org.uk/events/
3) Start thinking about who your affinity group is and what you’re going to bring and wear (see below for suggestions)
4) Join this Facebook event, and share it with all your friend. – ttps://www.facebook.com/events/1764336040473934/
For information from Reclaim the Power on what will be happening on the 1st October, read below.
WHATS THE PLAN?
This will be a fun, colourful and safe event that everyone is invited to participate in. An action consensus has been agreed to set the safe parameters of this day of action. The health and safety of airport staff, passengers and ourselves are of paramount importance and a top priority, and just in case it is not clear we will not be going on to any runways!
Visually and creatively we will focus on the polluting aviation industry, the affluent minority who are driving the so-called ‘need’ for aviation expansion, and the 300,000+ people who are already suffering from the effects climate change, and who are paying the price for this convenient luxury lifestyle, with their lives.
There will be three main ways that people can participate in the day of action, individually and as part of affinity groups that will have autonomy over how they operate.
(1) BLOCK A
will be family-friendly, in a publicly accessible inside area. Creative themes (for dressing up) will be:
The “15%” – the minority of ‘flash-the-cash’, ‘binge’ frequent flyers who we know are driving the so-called ‘need’ for airport expansion in the UK
The tax man – and the heavy subsidisies to the aviation industry
A die-in – representing the 300,000+ people who are already dying each year, all over the world, from climate change related causes
Speech & thought bubbles – to convey the key messages in a creative and clever way
Red lines – aviation expansion is crossing a red line for a just and liveable planet, and people are paying with their lives (wear red)
(2) BLOCK B
will consist of cyclists, and will be in a publicly accessible outside area. Creative themes (for dressing up) will be:
- Reimagining the alternatives – what could a future without aviation look like?
(3) Autonomous affinity groups are also invited to take creative action elsewhere, as part of the day of action, adhering to the same action consensus.